As everyone knows, millennials not only grew up online, they did it with cell phones tucked into their back pockets. And now that the two have merged to become the mobile world, it’s only natural that millennials are leading the way in all things mobile, including mobile purchases. And their purchasing power is growing.
According to an online study commissioned by Facebook, 4 out of 5 millennials say their mobile phone’s always with them, 83% research products on their smartphones, 69% make purchases on their smartphones, and nearly two-thirds admit checking their mobile phone more than 30 times a day. What does this mean to food brands marketing to millennials? Very simple: Be there for them — and as fast, friction-free, and device-friendly as possible.
Some rules of thumb for mobile commerce:
- Decide whether you need an M-site or an App
- M-sites generate larger purchases, Apps create more frequency.
- Keep it simple
- Create a clean, precise information hierarchy that’s easy to navigate.
- Say it with pictures
- Can you show product details faster than you can spell them out? If so, do.
- Make it easy to say yes
- Make all necessary actions easy to find, up to and including ‘Buy Now.’
According to Facebook IQ survey, mobile purchases jumped 35% in the first half of 2015. Will you be ready for what comes next?